An Open Letter to a Typhoon


Dear Basyang,


Hi there. I hope you're doing well, hmm I know you are. You've proven yourself already -- and I must say you were good at it. But I'm not here to tell you you've ruined most of my plans for today but instead, weird as it may sound to you, I seriously want to THANK YOU, big time.

Why the heck would I be thankful to your growling winds and home-wrecking powers? Why would I be happy you came at this most tempting time, when work demands the most from me? There are documents to be filed and collated, papers to be checked, and of course, a college to be accredited. But you came and everything turned its way to the opposite. None of those pushed through, I'm quite disappointed, but moreso, I'm very thankful.

Today I thought was going to be usual, but Basyang, in your unique way, you made it more special. Let me tell you how grateful I am that you came, in God's time I believe.

  • Our country's been suffering from gross drought for quite sometime now. It's just undeniably hotter in the Philippines these past months, and it's almost draining most of our water resources, and then you came. You don't have much of the rainfall but still, you helped a lot in giving us some water we've been praying for months now.
  • You made me use my blankets again.
  • And also my favorite jacket.
  • I finally got some decent nap! I woke up early but when I found out classes are suspended, I just rolled up in my sheets again and slept for another bunch of five or so hours.
  • I was forced to buy some food to store for the next few days (like bread, canned goods, etc) and that means I won't have to always eat out -- more savings for a wageless person like me.
  • Sister and I bonded again after quite some time! Since we didn't have anything to do after dinner, we just talked about, well, basically everything.
  • Even if you cut electricity out for almost 24 hours in our area, it didn't really bothered me because, as stated, you were airy enough. I couldn't just imagine how would I look like if your cool breeze wasn't there and there wasn't electricity. I surely don't want to soak in my salty sweat.
  • Since electricity was out, laptop's dead since last night, Globe and Sun networks were down (inside our apartment, that is. tsk), I decided to read a book. I haven't read a book in a while, I mean a real novel, and not like the usual books I was into for the last three years or so (no bad vibes for you Snell, DeLisa and the gang), and I was able to finish it in I think, about 8 hours straight. So good job right there, Basyang!
Those are just some points I saw when Basyang came. Surely she hasn't been all good but as the day went for me, she wasn't as bad either. I took the chance to rest, contemplate on what she might bring to the environment, and do something worthwhile. I've been busy these past days and thanks Basyang for giving me, and our country, a break.

p.s. When will Popoyng come? Just kidding. Anyway, goodluck on your future trips!

Much Love and Respect,
Isang Minuto

1 comments:

Anonymous July 27, 2010 at 10:08 PM  

Funny how storm brings people together. :D

Ang mga manunulat ng blog na ito ay magkakaibigan na lumaki ng may sari-sariling pananaw na nagdesisyong ibahagi ang kanilang mga karanasan sa kung paano nila binibigyang kulay ang magulong iko't ng buhay.